Thursday, September 25, 2008

Discovering Newsfeeds

While the last "Thing" focused on adding feeds for news sites that you would normally peruse on a regular basis, this one expanded it to looking for other feeds about topics of interest. I found Technorati to be helpful in the area of narrowing down the interest fields. For each topic (Lifestyle, Politics, Sports, etc.), there were several sub topics to choose from. I liked this approach from the standpoint that it gave you a list of suggested news blogs that you might not come upon on your own searches. I also liked the front-page set-up, which gave you the most popular blog posts of the day (which just happens to be mainly about politics right now). However, I liked the main page of Topix better, which seemed to supply a wider variety of topics and news to choose from. I suppose if you're a real news connoisseur, then sites like these would give you a wide array of options. So, while I think these sites would be helpful to some, I personally did not find them to be something that I would use on a regular basis.

And while we're on the subject of news, here's an interesting quote from Homer on that subject:

"For you are goddesses, inside on everything, know everything. But we mortals hear only the news, and know nothing at all."
-Homer

No comments: