Thursday, October 2, 2008

Deliciousness

I was primarily impressed with how Del.icio.us is a combination of a newsfeed, "favorites" file, and social blog. It seems to work almost like an online catalog for favorite sites that you want to save but may not have the time to puruse until a later. The only aspect that I wasn't too thrilled about was the ability for others to see your bookmarked sites. I'm personally big on privacy, especially on the internet, so I probably would not set up my own account and bookmark my favorite sites. However, I did see the benefit for librarians, teachers, and people dealing with large amounts of infomation that need to be saved for public and shared reference. For the library in particular, I see social bookmarking being helpful for those dealing with reference questions. Librarians can bookmark information-related sites which would then be available to other librarians in the same system, or even those in other systems.

No comments: