Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wikis - And Other Fun Stuff

I'm still in the process of learning about wikis, so I can't say that I have a full grasp of what they're all about. However, I have enough of a grasp to understand their use and the potential of what they can be used for. I use Wikipedia all the time, so from that standpoint I understand and appreciate the use of wikis. As far as how wikis would/could be most useful to libraries, I actually found the idea of annotating the catalog to be the one I was most excited about. I like the review feature on Amazon.com and when I want a review of a book or movie, I usually look it up there. I think adding a review feature on library catalogs would be a great improvement and also beneficial to patrons. I've appreciated the format of Aqua Browser, which is similar in nature to Amazon, and hope that patron reviews is something that could be incorporated in future editions.


“A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm.”
- Henrik Isben

No comments: