Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Library 2.0 - An Effective Tool, but not an End All, Be All

My thoughts on this are going to be very brief and succint, since there was alot of information to think through in regard to Web and Library 2.0. While I believe it's important for libraries to keep up with current trends and not ignore the potential of internet usage and how it can enhance library service, I believe that there will always be a need for an acutal library. I enjoy my time spent on the internet, and devote a small portion of my day to keeping up with emails, Facebook, and favorite web sites. However, at the end of the day, when my eyes are tired from looking at a computer screen both at home and at work, often all I want to do is curl up with a good book before going to bed. Call me old-fashioned, but there's just something about walking into a building filled with books that I can actually put my hands on, open up, and discover for myself what they contain, without always having to use a mouse or stare at a computer screen. The same goes for bookstores - esp. the used, old-fashioned type, but that's another story...

My essential thought is...while I think that keeping up with online technology is essential for any institution, especially the library, I don't think we need to go overboard and relegate everything to cyberspace.

This post, I'm going to give you two quotes since last post I didn't list any:

"No possession can surpass, or even equal a good library, to the lover of books. Here are treasured up for his daily use and delectation, riches which increase by being consumed, and pleasures that never cloy." ~John Alfred Landford

"Libraries: The medicine chest of the soul." ~Library at Thebes, inscription over the door

No comments: